The great thing about promises is that if you have a whole stock pile they will come through for you when life gets bumpy.
I’m so unbelievably thankful for truths so strong they can support my whole weight when I’m falling down. Â I’m thankful that they’re written on a page so that I can’t muddle them up in my mind. Â I’m thankful for the God whose character is my assurance that such great and precious promises will never fail.
1. The promise of rest for the weary.Â ’nuff said.
Matthew 11:28-29 â€œCome to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Â Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
2. The promise of being heard & responded to by God. Â This promise is so crazy that no one actually believes it. Â Read it. Â BelieveÂ it. I dare you.
1 John 5:14-15 “And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.”
3. The promise of strength. Â I have a power idol so if I’m not careful I can end up thinking that power and strength are enemies of God. Â But they aren’t. Â The problem isn’t having strength and power, the problem is getting strength and power anywhere apart from God.
Isaiah 40:29-31 “He gives power to the weakÂ and strength to the powerless.Â Even youths will become weak and tired,Â and young men will fall in exhaustion.Â But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.Â They will soar high on wings like eagles.Â They will run and not grow weary.Â They will walk and not faint.”
4. Â The promise of peace and freedom from fear of harm. Â Does ‘living in peace, untroubled by fear of harm’ sound swell to anyone else? Â Listen to Him.
Proverbs 1:33 “But all who listen to me will live in peace,Â untroubled by fear of harm.â€
5. My favorite promise today.
John 10:28-30 “I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.”
If you’ve been following the saga of my life recently you know that I’ve had smoother seasons. Â Between my meltdowns and my identity crisis, I’m gettingÂ the sense that my life is a little out of my control.
That’s why I love this promise.
My life is firmly held in some very capable hands. Â The one who has me is greater than all and no one is able to take me out of His grip.
You know what’s crazy? I believe that is true with all of my heart.